“A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks he becomes.”
– Mahatma Gandhi
Each person has a philosophy of life based on which he/she makes major decisions and invest his/her resources including time of life. A person may have a philosophy like ‘money makes me happy,’ or ‘sense-pleasures are the goal of life,’ or ‘academic achievements are glories of life,’ or ‘power makes a person happy,’ or ‘doing nothing is the best thing to do,’ or ‘going to heaven is the goal of life,’ or ‘gaining respect at job or in society is the highest thing to achieve in life,’ or something else.
Many times people are not aware of their philosophy of life. If they introspect about the reasons why they make decisions in certain ways or react to the situations in certain ways, then they find this basic philosophy of their life. People develop such philosophy from their family , friends, society, religion, environment, or their inherited nature based on their physical and mental chemistry. As a person gains experience in life, one may modify or change one’s philosophy. Some stubborn people do not change their philosophy of life even though it harms them and others and brings so much suffering.
I think the life-philosophy should be able to do the following:
1. It withstands all challenges and situations of life
2. As we go through various situations in life, the philosophy should make us stronger and wiser. It also gives us happiness and fulfillment.
3. It gives a meaning to our life and the universe. This meaning is uplifting and not degrading.
4. It unites everything and not divides. It should unite our various facets of life and should unite us with all people irrespective of their color, culture, country, religion, social and economic status or any other differences.
5. It helps us performing our day-to-day life’s responsibilities and gives us fulfillment.
6. It makes us fearless; makes us free from all kinds of fear including the fear of death.
7. It does not contradict with reason and science; it may surpass reason and science.
8. It is applicable to all human beings and not just selected few.
9. It enhances varieties of people’s mental chemistry like tastes, talents, interests, abilities, etc. it does not make people like clones – only of one kind.
10. It helps us develop unselfish love for all and encourages us to serve all.